Sunday 16 December 2012

Grape and grain

When I was a kid, we never had any drink in the house apart from at Christmas. At Christmas dinner, it was bottles of Greenall’s Bullseye Brown Ale (once I was old enough, I would get a shandy), and a glass of port to follow. It was probably the late 70s before a bottle of Lutomer Riesling actually graced the Christmas dinner table.

But, since then, there has been a dramatic change in British drinking habits. More and more, having a bottle of wine at home has replaced having a few pints down the pub. Between 1980 and 2010, according to the BBPA statistics, wine consumption grew by 148%, while beer consumption fell by 46%. You get the impression that, for many families, and not just those in the comfortable middle classes, cracking open a bottle with the evening meal is now routine.

So I thought I would ask how often people drank wine at home. Obviously the readership of this blog is going to be more beer-focused than the average person, but even so 23% of respondents said they drank wine at home more than once a week, although 59% said they did so less than one a month. There’s a very clear polarisation between frequent drinkers and rare-or-never drinkers. It would be interesting to see what a similar survey of the general population revealed. It would also be interesting to see an analysis of singles vs couples.

4 comments:

  1. I don't mind the odd glass or two of wine, especially if it's a half decent one. I don't normally bother opening a bottle at home though, as my wife doesn't drink, so a bottle would really be wasted. (I realise a bottle will keep over several days, but I have to be in the right mood to drink wine).

    Again, if we're out for a meal, there's no point in ordering a bottle as I would have to drink the whole thing myself (done it before when I was younger, and not as sensible as I am now). Also, I much prefer a decent glass (or two) of beer with my food, so again I don't normally get to drink wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next-door neighbours seem to spend most of their time in Spain and ask me to clear their mail while they are away. In reward for this, I always get a bottle of wine. I have made it clear I prefer white, as I simply can't understand red. It's normally a decent bottle, so my answer is "once a month".

    I have to say that, despite this, the delights of wine largely pass me by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not interested in drinking wine at all. Have plenty of beers in the cupboard though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the delights of wine largely pass me by" Ignormai! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments, especially on older posts, may require prior approval by the blog owner. See here for details of my comment policy.

Please register an account to comment. Unregistered comments will generally be rejected unless I recognise the author. If you want to comment using an unregistered ID, you will need to tell me something about yourself.